January 5-7, 2024 | Winter Storm Potential

MesoscaleBanding

19 minutes ago, snowlover2 said:

0z Euro is pretty much a complete whiff for all of us.

So far northern Indiana looks to be pretty much out of these systems.  Used to love the snow but now that my husband can no longer do the snow shoveling, it falls to me.  So far the meteorologists in our area say it looks like we could have a winter with no below zero days.

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
22 hours ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

I don't mind going 1 for 2 with these first 2 winter storm threats of the season, but it would be a gut punch to whiff on both. 

We need to prepare for that gut punch...hopefully better than Michael.

office gut.gif

• LAUGH 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

The mid-week storm looks to be a strong one for the W & NW side of the forum area so I'll take my highlighters to that thread.

Also, for those interested, I'll be putting together a "Guess the Snowfall" contest for this weekends storm along the EC.  There will be a link in that thread as well as a post in the Games & Contest section.

• LIKE 4

• Admin
1 minute ago, Grace said:

It's pretty pathetic, lol

The couple inches it gives us would be the most since last December around here I think, so I know we would all take it, lol.

That being said, I think I'm screwed being in NYC on Sunday. May try to look at taking the train from there to DC and flying back.

• SNOWMAN 1

ILN, mentioning temp profile issues to deal with what does fall 🙄🤪 and some other gut punches to follow

Shortwave energy over south Texas will lift across the Lower Mississippi Valley and into the southern Appalachians on Saturday. This will likely develop a surface low positioned near Carolina coast Saturday afternoon. Guidance has appeared uncertain as to the westward extent of the precipitation shield to the northwest of the low near an inverted trough. The temperatures seem a bit warm for efficient snow accumulation Saturday during the period of the best lift. However, there still is a signal for some possible snowfall in the ensemble data (especially south and east of I-71), so will continue the HWO-mention for now. The low moves off to the east with any precipitation shield exiting the local area Saturday evening. A secondary mid-level trough will provide a chance of light rain/snow mix on Sunday with a notable lack in cold air following the departing low. Weak high pressure brings a relative lull in the active weather on Monday before a stronger system arrives on Tuesday. At this point, our area appears to be firmly in the "warm" sector with gusty winds and a soaking rain.

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45
  • FACEPALM 1

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

ILN, mentioning temp profile issues to deal with what does fall 🙄🤪 and some other gut punches to follow

Man, what a bunch of party poopers! lol.

seems like a double edged sword trend on the NAM, lifting heights out ahead to the north (warmer) without doing so enough to cut west any

Eventually that would matter though, if it kept up

8b885a39-476c-4599-8df4-ef94fc46c27e.gif

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45

those temp profiles make a huge difference in about 70% of people tracking this thread, you can see at at the surface as well in ptype

one thing ill NEVER ignore, is the NAMs ability to latch on to WAA

8b885a39-476c-4599-8df4-ef94fc46c27e.gif

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45

ends up not even mattering, because the low is 1012 MB 😄 

pretty hilarious that the shortwave behind this is doing more good in to IL/IN than what was once the 995MB low in the MID ATL for the OV

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45