January 5-7, 2024 | Winter Storm Potential

MesoscaleBanding

18 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Can't pinpoint yet, but there's going to be a major OV screw zone for these next 2 storms - those in the zone will be both too far W/NW to cash in on this one & too far E/SE for Tuesday's system. 

Its going to be central Ohio...just feels like we can't catch a decent storm-seems like even when we're looking good, a last minute shift takes us down.

• THUMBS UP 1

2 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

I don’t know how much this will be of use in this case, but might as well get some Low Tracker practice in.  Very similar paths, but you can see how much weaker the Canadian is than the others.   I won’t be around for the 12Z Euro.

IMG_5653.jpeg

Primary is locked in it seems. Let's get that double barelled low back up and running from 2 days ago

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

Just now, Wnwniner said:

Its going to be central Ohio...just feels like we can't catch a decent storm-seems like even when we're looking good, a last minute shift takes us down.

I didn't want to say it, but that's what my gut is telling me right now. Just a glancing blow from this one followed by a near-miss, wash-out on Tuesday's system. Still a long way to go though. I'm hopeful that sampling tomorrow will bring this thing back NW a bit & stronger on modeling. 

I don't mind going 1 for 2 with these first 2 winter storm threats of the season, but it would be a gut punch to whiff on both. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

Just now, MesoscaleBanding said:

I didn't want to say it, but that's what my gut is telling me right now. Just a glancing blow from this one followed by a near-miss, wash-out on Tuesday's system. Still a long way to go though. I'm hopeful that sampling tomorrow will bring this thing back NW a bit & stronger on modeling. 

I don't mind going 1 for 2 with these first 2 winter storm threats of the season, but it would be a gut punch to whiff on both. 

And par for the course IMO.

Modeling is setting up that way, especially as #1 slides SE a bit.  There is a nice window of no snow opening up, and its right on us.  But hey-maybe that means we get ours later this season?

5 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Primary is locked in it seems. Let's get that double barelled low back up and running from 2 days ago

Need to get back to 12z from Sunday. Almost identical coastal low placement but differing transfers situations. Sunday vs. Today

gfs_z500_mslp_us_28.png

gfs_z500_mslp_us_20.png

• TROPHY 1

• Admin

Could both storms miss us? Sure. Could they both hit us? Sure. No door has been slammed shut yet, friends. The possibilities for many options are still on the table. Recent history has most certainly not been kind to the Ohio Valley area when it comes to winter systems, but we're in a very different atmospheric pattern now. Let's not yank the rug out from under its feet before it has a chance to test its footing. 

• LIKE 2
  • TROPHY 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Need to get back to 12z from Sunday. Almost identical coastal low placement but differing transfers situations. Sunday vs. Today

gfs_z500_mslp_us_28.png

gfs_z500_mslp_us_20.png

When we had the string of big-hitting runs the other day, the primary was going sub-1000mb in Louisiana & cutting up through MS/AL/TN/KY - the coastal transfer was occurring, but the weakening primary was able to do a lot of damage due to its earlier strength. It was also able to generate more cold air to enhance the snowfall. A stronger storm earlier-on is the main thing I'll be hoping to see on models as this thing gets better sampled. 

Edited by MesoscaleBanding
  • LIKE 1
  • TROPHY 1

7 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

When we had the string of big-hitting runs the other day, the primary was going sub-1000mb in Louisiana & cutting up through MS/AL/TN/KY - the coastal transfer was occurring, but the weakening primary was able to do a lot of damage due to its earlier strength. It was also able to generate more cold air to enhance the snowfall. A stronger storm earlier-on is the main thing I'll be hoping to see on models as this thing gets better sampled. 

This is the key for sure. 

Personally I would think the higher heights to the east & north of the system would be enough to slow the system enough to strengthen further west than recent runs.  You just don't want too much of a good thing or then you're dealing with warm air.

Edited by Grace
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

35 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

gfs_z500_mslp_us_28.png

gfs_z500_mslp_us_20.png

Yea and you can see it was clearly stronger at H5. Let’s see what sampling does. I don’t expect major changes but when you’re on the edge it could change things. 

One thing Iv noticed is the heights ahead have been increasing (50/50 faster or more east)which is good however you have that s/w behind it acting as a counter kicker. 

• THUMBS UP 1

ILN seems to be favoring the further SE solutions...

Meanwhile, a potent low pressure system will be organizing over the Gulf Coast and will begin ejecting northeasterly Friday night, reaching the Carolinas Saturday afternoon. Latest guidance shows a southeasterly low level jet pulling moisture off the Atlantic Ocean and bringing it back across West Virginia into southern Ohio. While deterministic guidance still varies, there is increasing confidence that precipitation will be occurring Saturday. Based on model soundings, it appears the vertical temperature profile will make for a difficult rain vs. snow forecast. For now, have generally a rain/snow mix where the precipitation is most widespread in the southeast, with mainly light snow back to the northwest. While confidence in precipitation type is low, have opted for an HWO mention for possible snow accumulations southeast of Interstate 71.

17 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Last frame of the 12z NAM

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 9.42.07 AM.png

nam.png

I know this is la-la land NAM, but that is a stronger vort than all other current model runs. 

4 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

notably slower than pretty much everything at that point

4 minutes ago, mafa said:

I know this is la-la land NAM, but that is a stronger vort than all other current model runs. 

Just now, Grace said:

You can always count on a west trend with NAM, lol. Hopefully it's correct this time. If you played that out from there it would be a pretty decent run I think. 

models-2024010212-f084.ref1km_ptype.conus.gif

Impossible to trust in its long range, but it's nice to see what many of us are looking for on at least 1 major model at this point, lol. 

• LIKE 2

28 minutes ago, Grace said:

You can always count on a west trend with NAM, lol. Hopefully it's correct this time. If you played that out from there it would be a pretty decent run I think. 

models-2024010212-f084.ref1km_ptype.conus.gif

25 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Impossible to trust in its long range, but it's nice to see what many of us are looking for on at least 1 major model at this point, lol. 

Wish i had a nickel for every time the other models had a more east solution and then the NAM gets in range with a more NW solution and ends up being right.