January 5-7, 2024 | Winter Storm Potential

MesoscaleBanding

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Covid club here as well for the past 2 weeks, which wrecked Christmas.  Most symptoms are gone but still congested, don't have full taste/smell and also tired at times.  Hope everyone dealing with this or anything else feels better soon.

Definitely not a fun way to spend my winter break!  Hopefully some future snow will make that better. 

1 hour ago, JayPSU said:

Yep, I guarantee that cutter mid next week stays the exact same…

Once it trends to cold rain, it stays cold rain. I can seldom remember a storm trending back from cutter to even coastal hugger, let alone benchmarker.

3 minutes ago, SnowloverSid said:

Once it trends to cold rain, it stays cold rain. I can seldom remember a storm trending back from cutter to even coastal hugger, let alone benchmarker.

A lot of storms in recent years have tended to come in less amped than progged in the long range, so it'll be interesting to see if that happens with that storm around the 10th.  Granted it will only help so much.  If it trends from, say, Lake Michigan to Indianapolis, that's not gonna help much for most of the OV.  

• THUMBS UP 1

Junior is on to a key difference between 0z and 12z. The trailing energy will play a factor in whether this can get pulled more to the north. 

Here is 0z.  Notice just a bit of separation between the two. This acted as a kicker and pushed everything a bit more to the east

49EB6E2D-626B-4056-A1EE-6CBA253F9CC8.thumb.jpeg.04e56e114696af62a990e6fcd2f4503f.jpeg

Now here is the 12z at the same time. 
A975367E-6164-42F2-ABAF-9D434D1253D1.thumb.jpeg.c5dbc361eaa2fdf667f2d294a2d2438f.jpeg
There was just enough of a connection to give it a little tug on the coat tail to amp it a tad more. 

There is more to the overall picture with the 50-50 low and confluence from the north. However this is what makes weather fascinating. You have to look at all of the various pieces of the puzzle. 

• LIKE 3

• Moderators

Interesting Euro.  We’ll see how things transpire the next 24hrs, but I might be able to break out the highlighters and Low Party Tracker after all. 

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Covid club here as well for the past 2 weeks, which wrecked Christmas.  Most symptoms are gone but still congested, don't have full taste/smell and also tired at times.  Hope everyone dealing with this or anything else feels better soon.

Yeah, Santa brought fever for Christmas:(

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Same here started getting symptoms on Christmas Day still haven’t tested negative still have sinuses and headaches and I’m still contagious. Never lost taste or smell. Think it’s just the normal now as much as some of us hate it. But I’ve been off work from it since the 27th. thank god I made it to Christmas cause I’m a retail manager. That’s all I’ve been doing this week is house stuff and tracking winter finally. Hope everyone that has it gets better 

Edited by Hassaywx1223

20 minutes ago, Hassaywx1223 said:

Same here started getting symptoms on Christmas Day still haven’t tested negative still have sinuses and headaches and I’m still contagious. Never lost taste or smell. Think it’s just the normal now as much as some of us hate it. But I’ve been off work from it since the 27th. thank god I made it to Christmas cause I’m a retail manager. That’s all I’ve been doing this week is house stuff and tracking winter finally. Hope everyone that has it gets better 

Hope you feel better soon. Covid is just the worst because it lingers forever. 

Just now, snowlover2 said:

Starting to get into the LR NAM territory. Can't really tell much and probably won't until the 0z run tomorrow night.

ref1km_ptype.conus.png

500hv.conus.png

Yes! I've been waiting to be NAM'D this winter. Doesn't feel like winter until that happens.

• LAUGH 1

10 minutes ago, snowlover2 said:

Starting to get into the LR NAM territory. Can't really tell much and probably won't until the 0z run tomorrow night.

ref1km_ptype.conus.png

500hv.conus.png

LR will be fun to see since it lags behind it seems. Above H5 would almost surely be NW of any run today.

• LIKE 1

48 minutes ago, Hassaywx1223 said:

The first time I tested it was a dark line that appeared rapidly.  Retested a couple days ago (after 10 days of symptoms) and it was faint and took a while to show up, so that's a good sign.  Wanted to go out last night for new years but just didn't have the energy.  Hang in there.

Anyway, apologies to the staff for my part in hijacking this thread.