January 26-30, 2023 | "I Won't Back Down" (1-2-3 Punch) | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storms

BuckeyeGal

• Admin

Two separate (but maybe somehow connected!) systems will affect the area Friday-Saturday, and then Sunday-Monday. The different models are, of course, handling them in all kinds of ways. We'll start the discussion gently as we're all still getting ready for the big doozy mid-week. 

models-2023012312-f108.prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.conus.gif.61092c68ce6b523bfad7e4d3b8fa8a65.gif

models-2023012312-f132.prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.conus.gif.80d854d21f62b17fa9f26cd018b5619b.gif

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 2

From Chicago:

Friday evening, our low levels dry out as well keeping things quiet through the night and into Saturday morning. In fact, we may be able to actually sneak in a little morning sunshine on Saturday. Even if we do though, it will be short-lived. Another plume of low level moisture will be moving in ahead of our next system. That being a broad area of surface low pressure underneath an elongated positively- tilted low level trough with a stout LLJ surging up into the Midwest. This system looks to be a tricky one regarding P-type given a potent warm front forecast to move through the southern CWA as well as a lack of saturation above -10C. I`m still awfully impressed how well models are agreeing on the track and layout of this storm. Impressed, but none-too-pleased since just about all model solutions point toward a messy system. In addition to P-type fun, models are also resolving a great deal of forcing through the low level saturation. Specifically, we`re looking at a good amount of synoptic- scale lift under the left exit region of the low-mid level jet max, a pronounced vort signature, and, perhaps most notably, an exceptional baroclinic zone with strong deformation along a tight theta-e gradient leading to distinct f-gen banding. This leads to concerns regarding heavy, banded precip including a potential for snow squalls. While it`s not wise to get too excited about such a thing this far out, there is considerable consistency among guidance. This is all to say that we`ll be keeping a close eye on this system through the rest of the week. As it stands, most guidance is throwing up everything from snow to rain to widespread freezing rain, all of which appear very attainable looking at forecast soundings. For now, I once again opted to go with all snow for the time being, though I`m sure that will change as we approach the weekend. The most likely timeframe for precip looks to be Saturday afternoon through night. Behind this system, a frigid airmass looks to bring much cooler conditions to the area early next week. Single digit temperatures and sub-zero wind chills are looking likely.

1 minute ago, Harberr62 said:

From Chicago:

Friday evening, our low levels dry out as well keeping things quiet
through the night and into Saturday morning. In fact, we may be able
to actually sneak in a little morning sunshine on Saturday. Even if
we do though, it will be short-lived. Another plume of low level
moisture will be moving in ahead of our next system. That being a
broad area of surface low pressure underneath an elongated positively-
tilted low level trough with a stout LLJ surging up into the
Midwest. This system looks to be a tricky one regarding P-type given
a potent warm front forecast to move through the southern CWA as
well as a lack of saturation above -10C. I`m still awfully impressed
how well models are agreeing on the track and layout of this storm.
Impressed, but none-too-pleased since just about all model solutions
point toward a messy system. In addition to P-type fun, models are
also resolving a great deal of forcing through the low level
saturation. Specifically, we`re looking at a good amount of synoptic-
scale lift under the left exit region of the low-mid level jet max,
a pronounced vort signature, and, perhaps most notably, an
exceptional baroclinic zone with strong deformation along a tight
theta-e gradient leading to distinct f-gen banding. This leads to
concerns regarding heavy, banded precip including a potential for
snow squalls. While it`s not wise to get too excited about such a
thing this far out, there is considerable consistency among
guidance. This is all to say that we`ll be keeping a close eye on
this system through the rest of the week. As it stands, most
guidance is throwing up everything from snow to rain to widespread
freezing rain, all of which appear very attainable looking at
forecast soundings. For now, I once again opted to go with all snow
for the time being, though I`m sure that will change as we approach
the weekend. The most likely timeframe for precip looks to be
Saturday afternoon through night. Behind this system, a frigid
airmass looks to bring much cooler conditions to the area early next
week. Single digit temperatures and sub-zero wind chills are looking
likely.

That's some big text. I thought my screen was zoomed in...

• The title was changed to January 26-30, 2023 | The One-Two-Three Punch | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storms
  • The title was changed to January 26-30, 2023 | "I Won't Back Down" (1-2-3 Punch) | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storms
  • Moderators

First call from CLE for 7PM Wed (tonight) thru 7PM Thursday.   Regional maps still have today's snow included...and go out thru Friday.

StormTotalSnowWeb1.jpg

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 2

3 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Moving this post to here, @BuckeyeGal might want to now shorten the other thread by a day so tomorrow ppl arent posting in there about the squalls

sn10_024h-imp.us_mw.png

sn10_024h-imp.us_mw.pngsn10_024h-imp.us_mw.png

snku_024h-imp.us_mw.png

snku_024h-imp.us_mw.png

snku_024h-imp.us_mw.png

snku_024h-imp.us_mw.pngsn10_024h-imp.us_mw.pngsn10_024h-imp.us_mw.png

Technically the snow squalls are part of the current system. I would just keep the discussion there since its not really thread worthy.