April 14 - 16, 2023 | Severe Storms

Iceresistance

I have concerns with quality of moisture return and capping. Not seeing a significant event right now for the plains imo. Could be some isolated severe weather but not im not expecting anything more than that for now. Several days out still so things can change of course. 

• LIKE 1

32 minutes ago, ElectricStorm said:

I have concerns with quality of moisture return and capping. Not seeing a significant event right now for the plains imo. Could be some isolated severe weather but not im not expecting anything more than that for now. Several days out still so things can change of course. 

It's dependent on the current system

If it wasn't for that gulf low this would probably be one of the bigger plains setups we've had in a while. Should get a strong/severe line along the cold front. Could get some tornado action along the dryline but that's looking questionable to me right now. Overall setup looks meh but it should be enough to at least get a few severe storms. The big thing we need though is rain, so hopefully the line along the cold front can give us some but we'll see. 

CIPS analogs aren't super active although there's a couple of big days in there.

https://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/DFHR.php?reg=SP&fhr=F096&rundt=2023041100&map=thbSVR

22 minutes ago, ElectricStorm said:

If it wasn't for that gulf low this would probably be one of the bigger plains setups we've had in a while. Should get a strong/severe line along the cold front. Could get some tornado action along the dryline but that's looking questionable to me right now. Overall setup looks meh but it should be enough to at least get a few severe storms. The big thing we need though is rain, so hopefully the line along the cold front can give us some but we'll see. 

CIPS analogs aren't super active although there's a couple of big days in there.

https://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/DFHR.php?reg=SP&fhr=F096&rundt=2023041100&map=thbSVR

There might be another opportunity like this later this month or May.

• Meteorologist
9 hours ago, ElectricStorm said:

The 0z CIPS was quite a bit more impressive with the Central Plains sector including the Heston tornado outbreak along with the 91 Andover that was in the Southern Plains sector as well. It also included the 1994 Lancaster, Texas F4, which if I remember correctly was the last violent tor for DFW until December 26th, 2015. 

https://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/DFHR.php?reg=GP&fhr=F096&rundt=2023041100&map=thbSVR

1 hour ago, Ingyball said:

The 0z CIPS was quite a bit more impressive with the Central Plains sector including the Heston tornado outbreak along with the 91 Andover that was in the Southern Plains sector as well. It also included the 1994 Lancaster, Texas F4, which if I remember correctly was the last violent tor for DFW until December 26th, 2015. 

https://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/DFHR.php?reg=GP&fhr=F096&rundt=2023041100&map=thbSVR

Yeah, the Southern Plains could have something big if the cap breaks.

• Meteorologist

This is pretty cool. HRRR is explicitly picking up on microbursts from tomorrows storms here. Seems pretty aggressive though.

S0Dw2Se.png

uDeCKUv.png

It's showing any cell that develops starts producing strong surface winds. Why? Thunderstorms with 50+ degree dew point depression

YFt9vpi.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

We'll see how things look in a couple days but right now I'm thinking Friday is going to be a cap bust. Not enough moisture and the cap looks like it might be a bit too strong for anything to really get going. Right now neither the HRRR or NAM show anything developing for the most part, although the HRRR fires a couple cells up in KS.

That being said though, anything that does form could be a big problem so we'll definitely have to watch it just in case. But overall I'm not very concerned right now. 

Day 2 outlook is out. Slight risk shifted north and no longer includes S OK/N TX but does now include S NE. 2% tornado area for C/NE OK and E KS. I think they will probably drop the slight risk in OK entirely in the next couple outlooks if trends continue.

spccoday2.categorical.latest.png.72b09ba7328d11d05d4c98ee4415d133.png

• Meteorologist

Looking like a hail event here. I actually like the upper flow better down south, but not enough forcing or moisture down there to overcome the cap it seems. Could get interesting if moisture return overperforms though. 

• Meteorologist

Off to work. Should be an interesting evening. First time I've experienced an event like this. Dry/near-dry thunderstorms that could turn severe, as well a more typical fire weather day with dry lightning throw in the mix.

fxeRNCZ.png

0Z0YivX.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014