January 30-February 2, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Weather

MesoscaleBanding

• The title was changed to January 31-February 3, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm Speculation

Trends on 0z & even more so on 6z EPS ensembles:

1. 3 waves with a big increase in precip shield & amounts.

2. There's hardly any separation in the waves...especially the 2nd & 3rd wave. Monday through Friday of next week was like a continuous Winter weather event for some locations. 

3. The best chances for snow look like North of the Ohio River, while south of that had very concerning icing ending in snow on last wave. 

**The biggest take away was it went from 2 lighter events & one major to 3 significant winter QPF events on several ensembles. 

• LIKE 4
  • TROPHY 1
  • LOVE 1

• Admin

I keep getting a bunch of "When's our next snow day?" questions at school. I just answer, "Yes." LOL. I really think next week has potential for those of us that missed the mid-week storm. And I also think the snow-starved NE corridor may get theirs, too, with one (or all) of these waves. Shall see. Thanks for this thread, @MesoscaleBanding!

• THUMBS UP 1
  • THANKS 1

40 minutes ago, Grace said:

12z RGEM is almost identical to 0z GEM at that point so probably going to be a similar outcome with first wave. 

models-2023012712-f084.prateptype-imp.conus.gif.f8288875db8fa1e2c4a716e8db29a859.gif

12z RGEM is a little colder at that point though:

models-2023012712-f084.sfct-imp.us_ov.gif.e51d98d629734aaa0262a2140e70a4cc.gif

Love the temp gradient for my area. Why would I expect any less than mixing risk. 😂 

1 minute ago, cperry29 said:

Icon developing a wave on Wednesday. This is hard to keep track of. So many varying waves. 

7DED5E98-275D-49A8-AFC1-EF8E72DF240E.gif

Models always seem to struggle mightily with these types of situations (multiple, relatively weak impulses riding along a boundary) in the mid-range. Probably need to get the Sunday system out of the picture before modeling has a decent clue.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

10 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Euro has trended north for 3 consecutive runs with this Wed. night/Thursday wave...

euro.gif

I can't imagine the SE ridge not flexing it's muscles as shown on the medium range model guidance.  We haven't seen anything all winter to suggest that a suppressed pattern will win out.  We shall see...

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, JayPSU said:

I can't imagine the SE ridge not flexing it's muscles as shown on the medium range model guidance.  We haven't seen anything all winter to suggest that a suppressed pattern will win out.  We shall see...

One thing that's different now, we have a Hudson Bay vortex. If did make a brief appearance for that cold outbreak in December, otherwise, noon existent.  There's a bunch of relatively low amplitude shortwaves rotating around said vortex, and from high latitudes.

Remains to be seen if any can dig, and dig in a timely manner with the ejecting SW trof.  It very well could be a final shortwave rotating through that digs enough, but that might also kick the vortex wear east, towards Iceland (+NAO)

Split flow, weatherman's woe.

ecmwf_z500a_namer_fh0-144.thumb.gif.06b2e096b02f3f958e9b70218d4e71f9.gif

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

41 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

One thing that's different now, we have a Hudson Bay vortex. If did make a brief appearance for that cold outbreak in December, otherwise, noon existent.  There's a bunch of relatively low amplitude shortwaves rotating around said vortex, and from high latitudes.

Remains to be seen if any can dig, and dig in a timely manner with the ejecting SW trof.  It very well could be a final shortwave rotating through that digs enough, but that might also kick the vortex wear east, towards Iceland (+NAO)

Split flow, weatherman's woe.

ecmwf_z500a_namer_fh0-144.thumb.gif.06b2e096b02f3f958e9b70218d4e71f9.gif

fed93810d68a2abecbd234514cb76b62.gif

• LIKE 1
  • CYCLONE 1
  • LOVE 1