White Christmas thread

StretchCT

• Moderators

Just posting some of the more promising runs that put snow on the ground for Christmas!  I'm sticking to east of the Mississippi but feel free to post them from wherever.

Here is a graphic showing the odds of a white Christmas from https://www.weather.gov/dvn/ChristmasSnow

image.png.af9d3f8c84f74c9594bd83c1082802c3.png

image.png.2be27281a4991189223078574bf545fe.png

image.thumb.png.206ad125ba89464724e1c99035bc294c.png

Here's the first run I've got with snow on the ground in much of the Northeast.

image.thumb.png.68c153d3200044bab726cdbfc52df754.png

• LIKE 3

What would you consider a White Christmas?  Flurries only?  A coating?  60 inches?  

For my area, a coating would make it a White Christmas.  Only because as a kid, we had a few White Christmases, maybe 4 or 5 and either got a coating or a few inches.  I may be wrong, but we may have had a significant amount one year. But as an adult, way fewer.  

Is there a site where I can look up many moons ago before the days of the internet?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, clm said:

What would you consider a White Christmas?  Flurries only?  A coating?  60 inches?  

For my area, a coating would make it a White Christmas.  Only because as a kid, we had a few White Christmases, maybe 4 or 5 and either got a coating or a few inches.  I may be wrong, but we may have had a significant amount one year. But as an adult, way fewer.  

Is there a site where I can look up many moons ago before the days of the internet?

On the map it's defined as an inch of snow on the ground.  I'd say pretty much covering the grass for me. 

Most memorable one was in 2002. 15" in danbury, but we were in NJ that day, drove through the changeover to snow and then stayed in NJ. Parts of Nassau saw up to 11 inches.

https://www.qsl.net/n2sln/dec252002.html

image.png.78e51e7c574a3f5f1648bd35dd16186d.png

image.png.44482914214662fd889f2c92fbfdaf41.png 

Fox 5 put a good piece out on White Christmas in NYC area.  https://www.fox5ny.com/news/white-christmas-new-york-snow-nyc-2023

Edited by StretchCT
  • TROPHY 1

25 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

On the map it's defined as an inch of snow on the ground.  I'd say pretty much covering the grass for me. 

Most memorable one was in 2002. 15" in danbury, but we were in NJ that day, drove through the changeover to snow and then stayed in NJ. Parts of Nassau saw up to 11 inches.

https://www.qsl.net/n2sln/dec252002.html

image.png.78e51e7c574a3f5f1648bd35dd16186d.png

image.png.44482914214662fd889f2c92fbfdaf41.png 

Fox 5 put a good piece out on White Christmas in NYC area.  https://www.fox5ny.com/news/white-christmas-new-york-snow-nyc-2023

Yep I remmeber that 2002 one.  Got less than 1 foot but near it, still was fun.  Though was an adult back then.  I was a kid back in the smokem peace pipe days.  Now entering I think my second or third childhood, can't remember.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, clm said:

As Stretch indicates it’s 1”.  Officially, NOAA defines a white Christmas as having 1 inch or more of snow on the ground Christmas morning. 

What type of info you looking for that occurred “many moons ago”….how much snow was on the ground on Christmas for a given location?

If so, the ncei.noaa website has access to all historic observations, including snow cover, for weather reporting stations in the GHCND network.  I don’t have the link handy at the moment, but can supply tomorrow AM if this is what you’re asking for.

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, Hiramite said:

As Stretch indicates it’s 1”.  Officially, NOAA defines a white Christmas as having 1 inch or more of snow on the ground Christmas morning. 

What type of info you looking for that occurred “many moons ago”….how much snow was on the ground on Christmas for a given location?

If so, the ncei.noaa website has access to all historic observations, including snow cover, for weather reporting stations in the GHCND network.  I don’t have the link handy at the moment, but can supply tomorrow AM if this is what you’re asking for.

Yeah wanted to go back through the years on Christmas to see when we had snow on the ground in my location, way pre-2000.

• Moderators
18 hours ago, clm said:

Yeah wanted to go back through the years on Christmas to see when we had snow on the ground in my location, way pre-2000.

Here's the site.    https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/search

Type in your locale on the bottom line, hit search.

Several locations should pop up, choose the closest and or the one with the best data (some sites have incomplete data!) and hit the "View Full Details" link.

Pick a month, year and away you go.  It should download and open a small file that looks like this....

image.png.c9d6cfeea473cdb7a9473735c087cb3d.png

• TROPHY 1

• Moderators
23 hours ago, clm said:

Go into the main NWS office site (NYC/Upton pictured), over to Climate and Past Weather, click past weather.

Screenshot2023-12-13at11_35_36AM.thumb.png.2e317b65dda93a17fb4964bdb6827e7e.png

Daily Almanac will give you the conditions, including snow cover in most places, for at least an airport in your area.

image.thumb.png.8fc28c2ceb579cfa7b20ee4a03f1943b.png

In 1974, BDR had a T of snow, nothing on the ground. 

Screenshot2023-12-13at11_45_00AM.thumb.png.f0296d576307da03121e3ed290c1225e.png

But in 1975, 0.7 fell and 6" were on the ground. 

image.thumb.png.edec8cb6b6ddb8919d0ccb8b175942ed.png 

Edited by StretchCT
  • TROPHY 1

6 hours ago, MaineJay said:

RE: lucid dreaming. If you want to give it a go, try taking Zyrtec.  

Never noticed this effect. I only take it when my allergies flare up, now I have a goal next spring. To be fair I don’t remember most of my dreams, only nightmares that force me awake.