March 25-26, 2023 | Winter Storm Speculation

MaineJay

• Admin

Guess we'll go through the motions.  Have been distracted by some other stuff lately, but seems like the models agree on a system in this time period.

As of now, northern NY and northern NE have the potential to see some wintry precip.  

169.track.current.thumb.png.bc7828aa7b2198ad941fae201e5cf945.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_25.thumb.png.72b9012000b61e663ca73594eaa1abcf.png

prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.us_ne(6).thumb.png.da499b2d6898de79162edf4bc8175d01.png

• LIKE 3

• Admin

Maine maple Sunday is this weekend, hopefully, could make for a pretty day, but also a PITA.  I don't think anyone wants to clear anymore snow on gravel driveways. I know I don't, I already got grab some more shear pins. 

WPC

The past 12 hours of model runs are finally attempting to converge regarding the details of the upper shortwave tracking out of the West and through the Plains, along with the associated low pressure evolution. The prior wide array of guidance is generally gravitating toward recent ECMWF mean runs that have been depicting the surface system reaching the vicinity of the Ohio Valley by 12Z Saturday and near the New England coast or Canadian Maritimes 24 hours later, corresponding to some sharpening and possible closing of shortwave energy. Operational ECMWF runs have been a bit on the northwestern side of the spread at the surface. Having the current/recent solutions finally look more similar is definitely progress, though exact track is still an issue and quite a bit of spread still exists for how strong the system will be by the time it affects New England. From the 12Z/18Z cycles that were used for the updated forecast, the main consideration was to lean away from the more suppressed 12Z UKMET by the end of its run early Saturday.

Despite some decent melting, still a solid 12" around my place.  

sd1_today(6).thumb.jpg.d6dbb9842f991f4af9cc7d03e1183844.jpg

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

Whites holding the snowpack this year. I remember last year was rough, we canned a trip in March because it was thin. 

pics from last year, from FB. Lion head winter route/summit sign… I’ve seen that spot many times and never so bare in winter. Doing much better this year ☃️

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b8cff13dadd9b0f54526e4dc6cff8ebb.png
image.thumb.png.18c9e60401781a09aeb90335975c17d1.png

Edited by TLChip
  • LIKE 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, Brodozer1 said:

again winter is over its a spring storm not saying it cant snow but 

It has winter-type precipitation, hence the title.  Arbitrary calendar dates don't mean a heck of a lot to me in regards to actual weather.

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

12z Euro OP seems to be in pretty good agreement with its Ensembles. Could be a moderate front-end thump before going to rain...best chance to stay frozen is off to my northeast.

I've still got my eye on the 28-29th timeframe. Definitely seems my best chance to put skis back on my feet...if snowpack can hold out.

Edited by telejunkie
  • LIKE 4

16 hours ago, telejunkie said:

12z Euro OP seems to be in pretty good agreement with its Ensembles. Could be a moderate front-end thump before going to rain...best chance to stay frozen is off to my northeast.

I've still got my eye on the 28-29th timeframe. Definitely seems my best chance to put skis back on my feet...if snowpack can hold out.

My kids did closing day at Hidden Valley, PA on Sunday.  It was their favorite day of the whole winter!  The place was empty- they probably did 80 runs.  

• LOVE 5

• Moderators
20 hours ago, telejunkie said:

Kinda surprised no thread yet for the 28-29th.

Finally dug in and see why....looks like it's pretty much a non-event as the shortwave gets torn in two. Oh well....

Have some lepton-sized flakes flying here

Edited by telejunkie
  • LIKE 1

• Moderators

It's kinda windy out there.  Told everyone last night it would be nasty though.  And it's gotta be one of the worst weather days so far this year. 

39, gusty, mostly rain.

925s just aren't warming up that much

Screenshot2023-03-25at12_52_14PM.thumb.png.7cc7afb3306b6d33cd7055dbfe6af806.png

as opposed to the 700 layer

Screenshot2023-03-25at12_53_13PM.thumb.png.1735e857f2d9f644503a463d899189c5.png

• LIKE 2

• Admin

36.5° 

DP 24.6°

It got below freezing last night, so the ground isn't particularly warm, still a foot of snow in most of my yard, but sunny areas are thin, or open in some cases.  Septic tank cleared a square.

Sun should be low enough so that most that falls will benefit from the time of day.

• LIKE 1