February 26-27, 2023 | Severe Storms

Iceresistance

• The title was changed to February 25-27(?), 2023 | Severe Storms
  • Meteorologist

I’m off Sunday but if we remain in the enhanced risk I’m gonna go in to work to observe/help with what I can. Even if we get pushed out of the enhanced, probably gonna have another wind/fire day. Probably can’t justify me coming in in that case though

Thankfully the weather finally calms down here starting tomorrow until Sunday. 

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 1

• The title was changed to February 25-26(?), 2023 | Severe Storms

Definitely concerning, especially for February. It'll be interesting to see how quickly the storms transition to linear. I think it'll probably be a squall by the time it gets to me but there's definitely going to be some decent tornado potential, especially further west. 

There's really not very many big Feb events here, biggest one I can think of is 2/10/09, 15 hatched moderate risk day, but other than that it's pretty rare to get anything higher than a slight risk, and even that's pretty rare for this time of year.

Good thing this isn't May though 

39 minutes ago, ElectricStorm said:

Definitely concerning, especially for February. It'll be interesting to see how quickly the storms transition to linear. I think it'll probably be a squall by the time it gets to me but there's definitely going to be some decent tornado potential, especially further west. 

There's really not very many big Feb events here, biggest one I can think of is 2/10/09, 15 hatched moderate risk day, but other than that it's pretty rare to get anything higher than a slight risk, and even that's pretty rare for this time of year.

Good thing this isn't May though 

Or April, then we would be absolutely be sweating bullets! We would be facing a guaranteed High Risk if it was in the peak Spring Storm Season.

It could be previewing on what is going to come later this year.

• Meteorologist

Initial storms will be supercells but based on the strength of the system, should go linear pretty fast. I don’t think it’s gonna be a big tornado day for that reason. Low-levels aren’t a slam dunk either because there are signs of capping or weak low-level instability. Could change but that’s where I’m at right now

1 hour ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Initial storms will be supercells but based on the strength of the system, should go linear pretty fast. I don’t think it’s gonna be a big tornado day for that reason. Low-levels aren’t a slam dunk either because there are signs of capping or weak low-level instability. Could change but that’s where I’m at right now

Well, the squall line could be powerful and create powerful QLCS tornadoes with the strong shear.

• LIKE 1

Yeah i'm pretty well on the fence about it unless the strength of the cap changes.

I forgot to mention in the other post that there are cases where there can be a nasty tornado outbreak from a squall line, it is generally rarer compared to a more typical one with discrete supercells though.

• Meteorologist
1 hour ago, Iceresistance said:

I forgot to mention in the other post that there are cases where there can be a nasty tornado outbreak from a squall line, it is generally rarer compared to a more typical one with discrete supercells though.

No doubt. But those tornado outbreaks are almost exclusively in the southeast for a reason. They lose daytime heating, they still have strong warm and moisture advection going for them… and they don’t have a cap trying to stop ascent. If they do, it’s weak and can be breached.

We have issues with moisture this time of year, and obviously we’re far closer to the source region of EMLs than the southeast so we can count on them to be non-negligible at least most of the time.

Also can’t forget the time of year. It’s February in the southern plains. Not saying it’s impossible/won’t happen but theres a reason we don’t hear of or think about significant QLCS tornado outbreaks in February in this part of the country.

• LOVE 1

• Meteorologist
37 minutes ago, Gerb131 said:

looks like a chaser party out there regardless 

Unfortunately. I get we're at the tail end of winter and people are itching to get out there but these storms are gonna be flying.

A quick point-and-click shows this... mean storm motion of 90 mph. A right moving supercell would be moving at around 65 mph. Right on the border of west OK/eastern TX Panhandle.

No thanks

SPXhipV.png

• LOVE 1

Really gotta watch moisture return, if the NAM verifies this will be a non event, but I think moisture should be better than what the NAM has. 

I don't really see this going above enhanced unless the models really start to uptrend though.

Still a potentially dangerous event though. 

Edited by ElectricStorm

• Meteorologist

The models have busted with high temperatures by being too warm the last couple of days now. Usually, this would give me concerns about any severe weather event, but with a negatively tilted trough and a surface low in the 980s moisture return will likely be underestimated. I do think linear is the favor storm mode in this setup due to forcing, but there may be a small window where if any supercells can stay discreet it could become dangerous quickly. Despite linear storm mode, with environmental wind gusts approaching 50 mph across the Plains, pretty much any storm that becomes surface based will produce significant winds. I would not be surprised to see 70 to 80 mph winds along the line assuming we do get the moisture return that's being seen on the global models. 

0z HRRR has 60+ dews just north of the Red River at 0z Sunday evening, with storms developing in the TX panhandle going linear almost instantly. I think I'll get a good squall line coming through here, which I am perfectly fine with. But I think chasers will have a tough day finding tors. 

For the initial Day 2 outlook my guess is: 5% tor, 30% wind, 15% hail