Miscellaneous Space Tidbits

Hiramite

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

More cool stuff if you haven't seen this yet.  It's not space, but a view from space.  "Grab" the photo with your cursor and spin it any way you want to see any part of the earth.

https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/real-time-imagery/interactive-maps/the-world-real-time

Edited by Hiramite
  • LOVE 1

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

I'm not sure if Astra hayd actually been successful in getting into orbit, so best of luck here. The satellites they are carrying, would in theory, been extremely beneficial for tropical systems.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2022/06/10/astra-poised-to-begin-three-launch-campaign-with-nasa-hurricane-research-satellites/

• Admin
On 6/12/2022 at 10:23 AM, MaineJay said:

I'm not sure if Astra hayd actually been successful in getting into orbit, so best of luck here. The satellites they are carrying, would in theory, been extremely beneficial for tropical systems.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2022/06/10/astra-poised-to-begin-three-launch-campaign-with-nasa-hurricane-research-satellites/

looks like the first of the three launches failed, not a big surprise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
15 hours ago, MaineJay said:

Mind boggling to the fullest extent.

More pictures posted today. They are so amazing they look fake.

Incomprehensible, or as Spock would say…..”Fascinating”.

• LIKE 1

15 hours ago, MaineJay said:

14 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Mind boggling to the fullest extent.

More pictures posted today. They are so amazing they look fake.

Incomprehensible, or as Spock would say…..”Fascinating”.

What does that mean, size of a grain of sand? It just refers to the field of view right? Like all that stuff is still zillions of miles apart right? I'm really uneducated about space stuff but those pictures are amazing. 

• THUMBS UP 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Hiramite said:

Another post on the scale of the universe.  Definitely not "light reading".  Best viewed on a laptop.

https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang/logarithmic-view-universe/

Not true.  The Earth is the center of the universe.  Its also flat.  😆

Those images are wild.  Even the immense distance Pluto is from the Sun, very hard to imagine the actual distance to another galaxy.

• LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

From a recent article about the collision of two neutron stars, another mind boggling space “fact”. I’ve heard this before but it still astounds as my mind says, how could it be….

Neutron stars are the collapsed cores of once-massive stars and some of the densest objects in the universe. According to NASA, just a single teaspoon of one would weigh four billion tons on Earth.

• LOVE 2

• Moderators
On 10/19/2022 at 9:13 AM, Hiramite said:

Should be some decent viewing conditions across the NE US Friday night for the Orionids.   

Beautifully clear at 5AM this morning.  Saw my first "shooter" after two minutes.  Waited another 15 minutes....nada.

• LIKE 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

12/11/21   (hey, its a palindrome date)

Geminids this week.  Looks like there might be some decent viewing conditions early week in the NE US.  With the bright moon, get out there early.

From EarthSky.org...

Predicted peak is 13 UTC on December 14, 2022.
Radiant: Rises in mid-evening, highest around 2 a.m. See chart below.
Nearest moon phase: In 2022, last quarter moon falls on December 16. So it’s a bright waning gibbous moon that’ll rise in the midst of the Geminids’ peak in 2022.
When to watch: All is not lost! Notice the rising time of the Geminids’ radiant point. The constellation Gemini is up by mid-evening in December. And moonrise isn’t until later, shortly before midnight, on the evenings of both December 13 and 14. And the moon rises later on December 14, providing more time for meteor-watching. Both evenings – December 13 and 14 – are worth a try!
Overall duration of shower: November 19 to December 24.

• Moderators
On 12/11/2022 at 7:48 AM, Hiramite said:

12/11/21   (hey, its a palindrome date)

Geminids this week.  Looks like there might be some decent viewing conditions early week in the NE US.  With the bright moon, get out there early.

From EarthSky.org...

Predicted peak is 13 UTC on December 14, 2022.
Radiant: Rises in mid-evening, highest around 2 a.m. See chart below.
Nearest moon phase: In 2022, last quarter moon falls on December 16. So it’s a bright waning gibbous moon that’ll rise in the midst of the Geminids’ peak in 2022.
When to watch: All is not lost! Notice the rising time of the Geminids’ radiant point. The constellation Gemini is up by mid-evening in December. And moonrise isn’t until later, shortly before midnight, on the evenings of both December 13 and 14. And the moon rises later on December 14, providing more time for meteor-watching. Both evenings – December 13 and 14 – are worth a try!
Overall duration of shower: November 19 to December 24.

I stepped outside and saw a “short” one, directly overhead, in about 5 or 10 minutes @ 8:30.  That was enough excitement for me in one night.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 11:58 AM, Hiramite said:

I think I could see it this morning with binoculars just before 6am.  Was very high in the sky so nicer viewing with how the light pollution is here.  I am Bortle 4 skies.  Will try again next week once the moon is gone and hopefully the comet is brighter.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rush said:

I think I could see it this morning with binoculars just before 6am.  Was very high in the sky so nicer viewing with how the light pollution is here.  I am Bortle 4 skies.  Will try again next week once the moon is gone and hopefully the comet is brighter.

I haven't looked yet....forgot about it, lol.

I'm a Bortle 4 also, SQM 20.61.  The darn neighbor put up a couple ridiculously bright security lights a couple years ago that I'm not very happy about to say the least.  And with all the trees around the house, I typically have to leave my property to see anything that's not pretty much straight up.

• LIKE 1

• Admin
On 1/17/2023 at 6:17 AM, Rush said:

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/spot-circumpolar-comet-ztf-c-2022-e3-in-binoculars/

Really good article on it.  Don't think it will be a NEOWISE but wouldn't be surprised to see this naked eye by the end of the month 

Hoping to get out and see if I can't grab an image.

• THUMBS UP 1