Hiramite

• Moderators

What better way to kick-off the "Birds" thread then with the beginning of the Spring migration as seen by radar.  This is the evening of 2/22/22 which featured warm southerly breezes. This site is a great way to see when the migrants are heading towards your area.      birdcast.info

099DFA11-9A19-4FB9-8C29-1B59783102C5.png

Edited by Hiramite
  • THANKS 2
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators
On 2/23/2022 at 7:23 AM, Hiramite said:

What better way to kick-off the "Birds" thread then with the beginning of the Spring migration as seen by radar.  This is the evening of 2/22/22 which featured warm southerly breezes. This site is a great way to see when the migrants are heading towards your area.      birdcast.info

099DFA11-9A19-4FB9-8C29-1B59783102C5.png

Sweet find Hiramite....bookmarked and will definitely be watching the forecast maps when they come back online in another month. Buddy has been trying to get me onto ebird for awhile....maybe one day.

• LIKE 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Been awesome listening to bluebirds all winter and been seeing quite a few snow buntings here this winter. But first red-wing blackbirds were singing out in the marshes behind my house this morning. Was an awesome early spring chorus this morning of black birds, bluebirds, chickadees, titmice, and cardinals. Interested to see when the robins arrive....

• LIKE 2

• Moderators
On 3/10/2022 at 12:02 PM, telejunkie said:

Been awesome listening to bluebirds all winter and been seeing quite a few snow buntings here this winter. But first red-wing blackbirds were singing out in the marshes behind my house this morning. Was an awesome early spring chorus this morning of black birds, bluebirds, chickadees, titmice, and cardinals. Interested to see when the robins arrive....

R-W Blackbirds arrive like clockwork the 3rd week of February every year down here. Robins are present year round although to a much lesser extent during the winter and typically not during the harshest periods. (I believe the ones present during the winter have migrated in from the far north.). The Bluebirds are also present year-round but have really been more numerous the past couple of weeks.  
Time to break out the camera!

• LIKE 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Admin

This sound woke me up this morning.

The Merlin app on my phone from the ornithology lab at Cornell tells me it's juvenile Barred owls, there are at least 2 or 3 different ones going on. I don't hear any parents though. Sorry it's here twice, I couldn't seem to delete the second one.

• LIKE 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Getting lots of hummingbirds to the feeders lately, coming by every few minutes. This larger female appears to be chasing off other females. I don't get a lot of males.  They are definitely getting used to us, they used to fly off immediately, now I can get close to the window and they hang out.

1/4 speed. She kept looking at me.

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

• Admin
On 3/25/2022 at 4:06 PM, MaineJay said:

Unfortunately my camera battery was dead, so I had to use my phone, I'll try again next week, the sandhill cranes have been at this strawberry patch since at least Monday.

796417510_PXL_20220325_1959504823.jpg.fb2b3678adaf69bb73f2a478c02ab156.jpg

Just saw the cranes again at this same farm, just around an apple tree this time.  There was at least a third one there, so that was exciting. Unfortunately I was in a rush and didn't take a picture 

• LIKE 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Kept hearing an eagle squawking at my job the last few days. Had my camera in the car, so tried to get a shot. Lighting was tough (in my face), and I think my lens was a little dirty.  Plus, it was about 400 yards away.

DSC_0647~2.JPG

DSC_0634~3.JPG

• LIKE 3

Taken years ago, but was talking about miserable trips in the daily observation thread the other day.  This was in Kidney Pond.  Started out drizzly but sun wound up breaking through that day.  Loons and Mergansers. 

108_0859.thumb.JPG.9b8109aab80d51a06ac1e4ec35ed823a.JPG

108_0900.JPG

• LIKE 2

• Admin

At least 2 eagles this morning. This one here, I got a picture of, is a very young adult. It still has a few more mottled feathers that the camera on my phone just couldn't pick up.  I remember seeing a juvenile a few years back here, might be the same one.

2057483845_PXL_20220915_1358242952.jpg.f6091084ce0caeb7ab891bfc4ea397c4.jpg

• LIKE 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

Saw a juvenile eagle at the job site the other day flying overhead, unable to get a picture though.

Have seen red bellied woodpeckers on consecutive days. I've only recently started keeping track, but these apparently are extending their range north, per the Merlin app.

Screenshot_20221009-090014.thumb.png.a4bde1fa54d50e02639c9c143ced8ebe.png

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
On 10/9/2022 at 9:03 AM, MaineJay said:

Saw a juvenile eagle at the job site the other day flying overhead, unable to get a picture though.

Have seen red bellied woodpeckers on consecutive days. I've only recently started keeping track, but these apparently are extending their range north, per the Merlin app.

Screenshot_20221009-090014.thumb.png.a4bde1fa54d50e02639c9c143ced8ebe.png

Interesting, never realized they are more of a "southern" species.  Very common around here.

And it appears that Red-headed Woodpeckers are south of you as well.  Reason I mention it is because some novices call the Red-bellied a Red-headed due to the large red patch on the male R-Bs.   Here's a real Red-Headed...they like open area with trees  (e.g. golf courses.)

image.png.a231404c22ef968698aab1ca67f38d20.png

• LOVE 2

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Interesting, never realized they are more of a "southern" species.  Very common around here.

And it appears that Red-headed Woodpeckers are south of you as well.  Reason I mention it is because some novices call the Red-bellied a Red-headed due to the large red patch on the male R-Bs.   Here's a real Red-Headed...they like open area with trees  (e.g. golf courses.)

Never seen the red headed variety, it being very forested around me might be less appealing to them.  Hearing and seeing lots of pileated the last couple weeks.  Hairy and downy are pretty common here, as well as the occasional northern flicker.

• LIKE 2

On 10/11/2022 at 7:12 AM, Hiramite said:

Had one some years ago that got confused with the white metal flashing on the buildings rather than the wood painted white.  He'd be out there in the fall pecking each morning making a huge racket.  If you thought they peck at trees loud, you should hear them on the flashing.  Thankfully that time already coincided with me being up and getting ready for work, so it didn't wake me up.  You'd think he would have gotten a headache.

• LAUGH 2