April 24-30, 2023 | Severe Storms/Heavy Rainfall

Iceresistance

The GEFS has a strong signal, and the SPC mentions it right now, but instability is currently too low/forecast too far out.

West-southwesterly mid-level flow is forecast across much of the
   nation on Monday. Moisture return will probably take place in the
   southern Plains, around the western periphery of an area of surface
   high pressure. Dewpoints could increase into the 60s F across parts
   of Texas. Further north, thunderstorm development will be possible
   across parts of Oklahoma and Kansas during the day. Any severe
   threat is expected to remain isolated due to relatively weak
   instability. The same general setup is expected on Tuesday with a
   moist airmass in place across the western Gulf Coast region. Strong
   thunderstorms could develop at the northern end of the moist sector
   in the Ozarks and mid Mississippi Valley during the day on Tuesday.
   However, medium-range model forecasts generally have wide spreads
   for Monday and Tuesday, suggesting predictability is low.

• The title was changed to April 24th - April 27th (?), 2023 | Severe Storms/Heavy Rainfall
21 minutes ago, ElectricStorm said:

Looks like this could be a good rain multi-day rain event for OK. Could see some non severe storms as well. I think we'll be a little too far north for the moisture to make it up here but something to keep an eye on. 

It does look like we are north of the boundary, close enough to the storm system for a lot of rain and lightning, but no tornado threat.

• Meteorologist

We've had a little more than an inch of rain since the start of 2023. This next week started off looking promising but the fear is something like GFS will verify. Even that would be great because that's still almost half of what we average for April, but the preference is definitely Euro/Canadian.

models-2023042112-f156.qpf_acc-imp.us_sc.gif

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

• Meteorologist
6 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

We've had a little more than an inch of rain since the start of 2023. This next week started off looking promising but the fear is something like GFS will verify. Even that would be great because that's still almost half of what we average for April, but the preference is definitely Euro/Canadian.

models-2023042112-f156.qpf_acc-imp.us_sc.gif

I'm going to choose to ignore the 18z GFS because the 3 previous runs were more inline with the CMC and Euro (and for the longest the GFS was the main one showing big rain here). But our funny motto here is "when in drought forecast drought" lol. Rain has been hard to come by xD

• Meteorologist
6 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

I'm going to choose to ignore the 18z GFS because the 3 previous runs were more inline with the CMC and Euro (and for the longest the GFS was the main one showing big rain here). But our funny motto here is "when in drought forecast drought" lol. Rain has been hard to come by xD

That's exactly the sentiment here. One of the leads here has been a lead here for 30 years and he's been hammering that home. Starting to see some trends toward GFS but I'm still hoping that maybe we're starting to see the Nina break its group and that we're looking at a wetter pattern. 

But if you ignore what Euro/Canadian are showing and you stick with GFS... that 0.40" here would normally get people excited. It's just the potential of what could've been is the bummer. But hopefully this is the beginning of a better pattern, if that 0.40" doesn't turn to something more negligible. 

• Meteorologist
Just now, ClicheVortex2014 said:

That's exactly the sentiment here. One of the leads here has been a lead here for 30 years and he's been hammering that home. Starting to see some trends toward GFS but there's still some hope that maybe we're starting to see the Nina break its group and that we're breaking out of the drought pattern.

The 30-day and 90-day average of the SOI have been trending down this month with the 90-day approaching the negatives. That's a great signal for a wet pattern developing in Texas. It's going to be a fast flip imo. Once that subtropical jet becomes active I don't think it'll stop. Unlike last year where the faucet shut off, the atmosphere should continue to be favorable for a wet pattern, especially with Nino 1+2 going crazy. I think we're just a few more amplified loops into phase 6 and 7 of the MJO away from the El Nino being solidified. A strong typhoon kicking off a westerly wind burst could get us there too. 

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
4 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

The 30-day and 90-day average of the SOI have been trending down this month with the 90-day approaching the negatives. That's a great signal for a wet pattern developing in Texas. It's going to be a fast flip imo. Once that subtropical jet becomes active I don't think it'll stop. Unlike last year where the faucet shut off, the atmosphere should continue to be favorable for a wet pattern, especially with Nino 1+2 going crazy. I think we're just a few more amplified loops into phase 6 and 7 of the MJO away from the El Nino being solidified. A strong typhoon kicking off a westerly wind burst could get us there too. 

Yeah I've been keeping up with MJO/ENSO but I haven't looked at SOI in a bit. This would be a great time for the SOI to flip and for some Nino forcing to begin. 

Kinda funny how the standards have changed for both of us. We used to get excited about Ninas for storms and rain was never an issue... here we are hoping for a Nino and we're talking about an inch of rain like most people talk about a foot of snow.

• Meteorologist
15 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Yeah I've been keeping up with MJO/ENSO but I haven't looked at SOI in a bit. This would be a great time for the SOI to flip and for some Nino forcing to begin. 

Kinda funny how the standards have changed for both of us. We used to get excited about Ninas for storms and rain was never an issue... here we are hoping for a Nino and we're talking about an inch of rain like most people talk about a foot of snow.

Yeah, though I always had a different perspective on rain since I grew up in Texas. Funny thing is if I end up at WPC like I hope to someday I'll still want an El Nino just to experience one of those big East Coast blizzards lol. Still mad about missing out on January 2016 outside of a few flakes in Columbus lol. 

• LIKE 1

14 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Here is the site for the SOI index

https://www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/soi/

On 4/23/2023 at 10:31 PM, ClicheVortex2014 said:

NAM disagrees on the instability axis but it's a similar look

HDL8dOh.png

Tonight's NAM has the better instability with the 55-65 degree dew points in central Texas. The convection allowing models have some areas of storms from San Antonio to Houston, with perhaps shear values of 40 knots. I would say the SPC will keep the slight risk in that area and also for farther west, kind of closer to mid-Texas and the Panhandle. I think a few isolated storms will form. There could even be a chance for chase-able supercells with dew points of only 50-55.\

Wednesday: the cold front comes into northern Texas. NAM soundings show that the hail indices should be pretty high.

shown below: the FV3 model has a supercell near Amarillo with a surface temp of 62 (crazy, huh?)

2023_04_25_00z_FV3_25hr_forecast.png

Edited by Chinook

• Meteorologist

The GFS has not backed down with the rain for southern Kansas (especially southwest) and northern Oklahoma. If that plays out it would really set us up for an active May with the dryline setting up over western Kansas for multi-day storms (and maybe some chase chances for me?) once the PNA goes negative again. 

• Meteorologist

Day 2 enhanced for wind in DFW tomorrow. Could be an interesting couple of days down in Texas. I haven't been paying much attention to the severe side due to being sick the last few days. 

spcd2cat.us_sc.png

• SAD 1

2" hail near Sweetwater TX.

Severe Weather Statement
National Weather Service San Angelo TX
705 PM CDT Tue Apr 25 2023

TXC151-353-260030-
/O.CON.KSJT.SV.W.0053.000000T0000Z-230426T0030Z/
Nolan TX-Fisher TX-
705 PM CDT Tue Apr 25 2023

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 730 PM CDT
FOR NORTHEASTERN NOLAN AND SOUTHEASTERN FISHER COUNTIES...

At 703 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Gannon, or near
Sweetwater, moving east at 25 mph.

HAZARD...Two inch hail.

SOURCE...Trained weather spotters reported 2 inch diameter hail 6
         miles northwest of Sweetwater at 7 PM CDT.

IMPACT...People and animals outdoors will be injured. Expect damage
         to roofs, siding, windows, and vehicles.

This severe storm will be near...
  Longworth around 715 PM CDT.

Other locations impacted by this severe thunderstorm include Busby,
Capitola and Gannon.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN ANGELO TX
705 PM CDT TUE APR 25 2023

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0700 PM     HAIL             6 NW SWEETWATER         32.53N 100.48W
04/25/2023  M2.00 INCH       FISHER             TX   STORM CHASER

Up to possible baseball size now.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service San Angelo TX
713 PM CDT Tue Apr 25 2023

The National Weather Service in San Angelo has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Southwestern Jones County in west central Texas...
  Northeastern Nolan County in west central Texas...
  Northwestern Taylor County in west central Texas...
  Southeastern Fisher County in west central Texas...

* Until 815 PM CDT.

* At 711 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Sweetwater,
  moving southeast at 25 mph.

THIS IS A DESTRUCTIVE STORM FOR SWEETWATER AND NORTHEAST NOLAN
COUNTY

HAZARD...Baseball size hail and 60 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...People and animals outdoors will be severely injured.
           Expect shattered windows, extensive damage to roofs,
           siding, and vehicles.

* This severe thunderstorm will be near...
  Trent around 745 PM CDT.
  Merkel around 755 PM CDT.

Other locations impacted by this severe thunderstorm include Lake
Sweetwater and Camp Butman.

This includes Interstate 20 between Mile Markers 240 and 272.