How to insert a degree ° symbol using a laptop/computer.

Hiramite

• Moderators

You can create a degree symbol (°) by holding the ALT key then hitting =0176  (See comments below... ALT 248 also results in a °  )   Some machines may require using the left ALT key.

[The degree symbol on my iphone is accessed by depressing/holding the 0 (zero).]

Edited by Hiramite
  • THANKS 1

Try dropping the +sign, works for me. As a matter of fact I'm gonna start usin' 248, it's one less character than 0176 and you go straight up the #board instead of around it.

There's usually more than one way to do stuff.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, NKYSnowLover said:

On a laptop/desktop, I use ALT + 248 to get a degree symbol.

11 hours ago, Cygnus said:

Try dropping the +sign, works for me. As a matter of fact I'm gonna start usin' 248, it's one less character than 0176 and you go straight up the #board instead of around it.

Thanks gentlemen, I'll edit the initial post.  I'm liking the ALT 248.

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 1

12 hours ago, Cygnus said:

50 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Thanks gentlemen, I'll edit the initial post.  I'm liking the ALT 248.

Yeah, my bad on the "+" sign. Didn't mean to cause any confusion about that being part of the combo to get the degree symbol. 🙂 We've used that syntax at work to drive home holding the alt key when adding the numeric code to get whatever character you want.

• LIKE 1

On 2/26/2022 at 11:59 AM, NKYSnowLover said:

Yeah, my bad on the "+" sign. Didn't mean to cause any confusion about that being part of the combo to get the degree symbol. 🙂 We've used that syntax at work to drive home holding the alt key when adding the numeric code to get whatever character you want.

No harm, no foul. Thx for the explanation 'bout work. Even seasoned PEBCAK's :classic_rolleyes:  forget the ALT key once an awhile.

On 2/27/2022 at 10:36 AM, Iceresistance said:

I always copy & paste it when I search it up. XD

Since you're already there in character map C&P would be the most efficient way, but if you use certain characters many times during the day its only human nature to find shortcuts and after awhile it becomes a habit.

@Hiramite NKY's post 'bout work had me thinking;

1. Num Lock needs to be on when using any character map key codes and you must use the number pad, the top row will not work.
  2. The left ALT key always needs to be pressed when entering the code. On some machines the right ALT key isn't mapped to use character map.
  3. There is no need for spaces while entering the code. This one may vary depending on the machine/PC manufacturer and its relationship to the OS (operating system), see the end of #2.

There's more and this seems to be a comprehensive look at the subject: Make Special Characters & Keyboard Symbols If anyone needs more there is this google search: Different ways to use character symbols These tips are for windows there are specific tips for mac an' android If you'd rather not use google just C&P the name of the link into your favorite search engine and add the OS and or the device you use.

Edited by Cygnus
  • LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

• The title was changed to How to insert a degree ° symbol using a laptop/computer.