Summer 2024 Discussion

I just posted in the spring thread but then realized that it is meteorological summer and no thread has been started for that interminable three- month period between May 31 and September 1. Today means four down and 88 to go (sounds as though I am on my own 12 yard line). Let’s hope that the predictions of hot weather are incorrect.

• LIKE 2

5 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Tropics look like they are about to heat up and the dreaded heat dome is starting show up in the models 🥵

I would be shocked if we don't get a remnant system (possibly multiple remnant systems) into the Ohio Valley/Great Lakes this year.  Looks very active in general and the Gulf looks like it could be a hotspot.

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

The number of days into meteorological summer has reached double digits. We are slowly chipping away at my least favorite season. Meteorological autumn is now only 82 days away— as close in the future as late March in the past.

22 minutes ago, SnowloverSid said:

The good news for fall lovers is that (a) meteorological summer is now approximately one-sixth over: 15.5 down and 76.5 to go. As of about 15 minutes ago, we are closer to September than to March. 

Honestly September has seemed more like an extension of summer than not in recent times.

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Honestly September has seemed more like an extension of summer than not in recent times.

I think you are right— I have experienced only one cooler-than-average September in the last 10 years. Make that zero because that one cool September— in upstate NY— barely below average— was after I had moved to St. Louis. This means that I have not experienced a cooler-than-normal ninth month of the year since 2013.

On 6/16/2024 at 11:41 AM, Hoosier said:

Heat in September and October is more pleasant because the sun is less intense and days are shorter too. Bugs are on their way out too so if we're including September in summer then it'll easily be the best month of the season.

Either way, 90F in September hits different than 90F in June or July.

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2024 at 4:35 PM, StormfanaticInd said:

Starting to look like a cooler summer overall 

For who? This is probably the most relentless set of above average temps I have ever seen for most of the lower 48.

• LIKE 1

On 7/10/2024 at 5:56 AM, Psu1313 said:

For who? This is probably the most relentless set of above average temps I have ever seen for most of the lower 48.

Upper Midwest has been relentlessly cool and wet all summer. Also, is anyone else surprised that 115 degrees in July in Phoenix is considered record breaking heat? Seems like normal summer desert heat to me. 

On 7/11/2024 at 1:59 PM, Arctic Outbreak said:

Upper Midwest has been relentlessly cool and wet all summer. Also, is anyone else surprised that 115 degrees in July in Phoenix is considered record breaking heat? Seems like normal summer desert heat to me. 

Sorry it has taken me a few days to respond, work and kids get in the way these days. The data does not sure what you are saying. Summer is only a month old, but everything runs close enough to normal or WAYYY above normal. Some of the near normal is cooler highs but higher lows. 

Map of the United States depicting Mean Temperature Departures from Average for June 2024.

For the year, it's just continuous warmth....

Map of the United States depicting Mean Temperature Departures from Average for January-June 2024.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/national-climate-202406

Thankfully, a pretty strong cold front is going to come through this week, but longer range it really looks like the heat is going to return starting its build next weekend in the midwest. 

Edited by Psu1313

On 7/13/2024 at 12:22 PM, Psu1313 said:

Sorry it has taken me a few days to respond, work and kids get in the way these days. The data does not sure what you are saying. Summer is only a month old, but everything runs close enough to normal or WAYYY above normal. Some of the near normal is cooler highs but higher lows. 

Map of the United States depicting Mean Temperature Departures from Average for June 2024.

For the year, it's just continuous warmth....

Map of the United States depicting Mean Temperature Departures from Average for January-June 2024.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/national-climate-202406

Thankfully, a pretty strong cold front is going to come through this week, but longer range it really looks like the heat is going to return starting its build next weekend in the midwest. 

The Jan-Jun departures look like that because we didn't have a winter. June wasn't warm at all. July has been a little warmer. 

• Meteorologist
On 7/11/2024 at 1:59 PM, Arctic Outbreak said:

It is the consistency in which the SW (namely phoenix) has had 100+ degree days. So yes it is actually record breaking to see just like Texas experiencing the 100+ degree summers over the last 2-3 years. There is a whole thread I can point you to that shows the data is actually kind of crazy to see happen in a desert climo. In a warming climate none the less these records are being broken.

PDO is running the show and looks fairly similar to how the anomaly maps look. These are correlation maps of Air temp to PDO state. 

July.gif

June.gif

17 hours ago, so_whats_happening said:

It is the consistency in which the SW (namely phoenix) has had 100+ degree days. So yes it is actually record breaking to see just like Texas experiencing the 100+ degree summers over the last 2-3 years. There is a whole thread I can point you to that shows the data is actually kind of crazy to see happen in a desert climo. In a warming climate none the less these records are being broken.

PDO is running the show and looks fairly similar to how the anomaly maps look. These are correlation maps of Air temp to PDO state. 

July.gif

June.gif

I guess I've had a skewed view of what their summers have always been like. I thought under 100 in Phoenix in July would be unusually cool. 

• Meteorologist
4 hours ago, Arctic Outbreak said:

I guess I've had a skewed view of what their summers have always been like. I thought under 100 in Phoenix in July would be unusually cool. 

It sort of is for this time of year but it is usually in tandem with the onset of monsoon season that lowers their temp levels. The 100-109 is actually fairly common for them it is the 110+ that tends to be a bit too much.

chart.thumb.jpeg.a37c061352740dd43c8942f720583572.jpeg

Just like over here in the east we don't typically see consistent 100+ degree days but they do happen from time to time. So far today we hit 104 (tied the record), 102 yesterday (new record), and 101 Sunday(new record). That is a really solid stretch of 100+ for here and the nighttime lows have luckily not been just as crazy but we are well above average sitting at 78-80 at night. Average min this time of year is 68 this has been an ongoing thing for quite some time across the country while we may not necessarily always break max temps the mins have been killing us in averages.