November 23-27, 2022 | Potential Thanksgiving Storm

Ingyball

• Meteorologist

A bit early but I have some confidence we'll see an impactful storm during this period. I won't post any individual deterministic model runs (there have been some crazy ones) but will share some of the medium to long term signals. Right now it looks like the deterministic models are pretty progressive with the waves that will move over the U.S around Thanksgiving. With the MJO entering phase 7 and the AO trending negative leading up to this storm I think there's going to be enough blocking to slow the pattern down.

ensplume_full.gif.a719240ee4896d7feec1224aeeed6614.gif

ao_gefs.sprd2.png.bd8e5e5e79f94ca48fe7f00ba2d1a183.png

I find it interesting that the NAO and PNA both trend negative this week. That suggests we're going to see a ridge somewhere in the Plains or Mississippi Valley. That ridge should shift east with this storm system and thus the NAO trends back positive.  This would also favor something that cuts further west depending on how far west the ridge is. There's still a lot of uncertainty with the teleconnection forecast however, which makes the actual pattern highly uncertain. It's something definitely worth watching though. nao_gefs.sprd2.png.389812cd9cf9bde63874de18bd604b6c.pngpna_gefs.sprd2.png.36da5322bd3a424a25a5ab9c4903fb39.png

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1
  • LOVE 1

57 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

A bit early but I have some confidence we'll see an impactful storm during this period. I won't post any individual deterministic model runs (there have been some crazy ones) but will share some of the medium to long term signals. Right now it looks like the deterministic models are pretty progressive with the waves that will move over the U.S around Thanksgiving. With the MJO entering phase 7 and the AO trending negative leading up to this storm I think there's going to be enough blocking to slow the pattern down.

I find it interesting that the NAO and PNA both trend negative this week. That suggests we're going to see a ridge somewhere in the Plains or Mississippi Valley. That ridge should shift east with this storm system and thus the NAO trends back positive.  This would also favor something that cuts further west depending on how far west the ridge is. There's still a lot of uncertainty with the teleconnection forecast however, which makes the actual pattern highly uncertain. It's something definitely worth watching though. nao_gefs.sprd2.png.389812cd9cf9bde63874de18bd604b6c.pngpna_gefs.sprd2.png.36da5322bd3a424a25a5ab9c4903fb39.png

This has been pn my radar

• LIKE 1
  • SHOCKED 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

19 hours ago, Ingyball said:

It has been on my Radar for a while because of the December potential, the MJO forecast is eerily similar to 1989 and 1983.

Edited by Iceresistance
Forgot to specify

• Meteorologist

It's always fun to see some of the early model runs. The GFS is super progressive and has a snow storm in Pennsylvania and New York, CMC has it over Kansas, and the Euro is so slow it just sits over New Mexico with 5" of QPF and more still to come. 

Cross-country storm to threaten travel headaches around Thanksgiving

As nearly 55 million people travel for Thanksgiving this year, AccuWeather's experts say a developing storm system could pose travel concerns before, during and after the holiday.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/travel/cross-country-storm-to-threaten-travel-headaches-around-thanksgiving/1336956?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=AccuWeather&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR035COMD5ZG4vsdv7MgHMzy1byjEBDkW-ctxxvMznuhgi7tKSVbCZqp70U

12 hours ago, TheBlizzardOf1978 said:

Cross-country storm to threaten travel headaches around Thanksgiving

As nearly 55 million people travel for Thanksgiving this year, AccuWeather's experts say a developing storm system could pose travel concerns before, during and after the holiday.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/travel/cross-country-storm-to-threaten-travel-headaches-around-thanksgiving/1336956?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=AccuWeather&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR035COMD5ZG4vsdv7MgHMzy1byjEBDkW-ctxxvMznuhgi7tKSVbCZqp70U

They should make a movie about that

images.jpeg.fb55060491a94929d7a16748fcc89bda.jpeg

• LAUGH 2

• Meteorologist
3 minutes ago, snowlover2 said:

12z GFS jumped ship on the cut off idea.

Yeah we'll see if it's just one run or a new trend, but I think the cutoff idea is right, but where it cuts off is still up in the air.

• Meteorologist

12z EC crushes the Texas Panhandle with snow lol

sn10_acc.us_c.png.d61e318f1f8c8ef5ea49ea3729149faa.png

1304897913_snku_acc.us_c(14).png.4bd963eb2e26498f051eb6caa234a43d.png

Further north that northwest and west side of the surface low looks interesting. Right now the EC's sounding would favor rain, however with these type of systems the dynamics on that side of the low would favor cooler temperatures aloft and there's enough cold air for surface temps to be near freezing. Wouldn't surprise me if that ended up being snow or at least a mix assuming that run played out exactly like it did. 

ecmwf_full_2022112112_120_37.6--98.4.png.c1860693e6f237f1a503f095b2a59b5d.png