October 10th-?, 2022 | Severe Weather possible | First 2nd season potential

Iceresistance

Wednesday/Day 4 and Thursday/Day 5... A cold front is forecast to move quickly eastward across the western Great Lakes and mid Mississippi Valley on Wednesday. This will occur ahead of a substantial upper-level trough that is forecast to deepen during the day. Due to strong forcing associated with the upper-level trough and cold front, a line of thunderstorms will likely develop Wednesday afternoon. This line of storms should move eastward across the southern Great Lakes and Ohio Valley Wednesday afternoon. Although a wind-damage threat will be possible along the leading edge of this line, limited moisture return and weak instability will be problematic for a more widespread threat. An isolated wind-damage threat could continue into the evening as the cold front and line of storms moves into the central Appalachians. The cold front is forecast to move through the Northeast on Thursday, and could reintensify by midday from parts of New York and Pennsylvania southward into the Mid Atlantic. The wind-damage threat could affect areas as far north as New England Thursday afternoon. A 15 percent contour could be needed in either Day 4 or Day 5, once the details become more clear in model runs that come out over the next day or two.

• The title was changed to Severe Weather possible | October 10th-? | First 2nd season potential
  • Meteorologist

It's a good reminder we're entering the second severe season but I don't see much potential here. Yeah, after the past 2 months, a marginal risk is definitely worth talking about. But there are some hints that the ridiculously persistent western ridge/eastern trough may flip by the end of October. 

floop-hrrr-2022101100.refcmp.us_mw.gif

• Meteorologist

The pattern beyond October 18 is still worth watching due to an extended Pacific jet streak. This is valid for the same time on 0z GFS and 12z Euro (0z Euro not out yet)

image.png.c0448fcafd1ed2e198b26232c3aa61f6.png

image.png.cd0dc205b8485815757b28a08717b671.png

End of the GFS run but this is the expected result from an extended Pacific jet; a western trough. 

image.png.96497341170e9c459aa9336e6523c146.png

End of the 12z Euro run shows a nasty Pacific jet. Significant blocking pattern over the US though, including strong northeasterly flow over Oklahoma. So that's certainly a cog in the machine. BUT, it seems the Pacific is gonna try to load up for an interesting late-October/early-November

image.png.bc28b7a83ff268cb196ec037a5afe0f7.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

• Meteorologist

Not at all impressed with what HRRR is showing for tonight, but tomorrow could be more interesting. Solid signal for a low-topped squall somewhere in S MI/IN/OH, which makes sense given everything about the setup.

Pretty classic dichotomy of high shear/low cape in the north, slightly more cape/lower shear in the south. It'll be my first time being in on the latter case.

Also hinting at a more well-organized morning high shear/low cape event for the Northeast. 

floop-hrrr-2022101118.refcmp.us_ov.gif.1240f4d32cdcbd60e8883358c4ebd79d.gif

8 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Pretty decent environment in eastern Kentucky. Certainly could see some supercells there.

image.png.9b24b6bdd7539d3b0b02ca871e81d238.png

Tornados in the mountains always gets my attention just because I know how unexpected they are. You'd be surprised how many people still swear by the whole twisters don't happen in the mountains wives tales. I guess it's because they are so rare in the area. 

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
3 hours ago, 1816 said:

Tornados in the mountains always gets my attention just because I know how unexpected they are. You'd be surprised how many people still swear by the whole twisters don't happen in the mountains wives tales. I guess it's because they are so rare in the area. 

My mom believes that. They currently live on top of a plateau, about 1000-1500 feet above sea level. It is cooler up there compared to surrounding lower elevations but an established supercell in the right environment is its own system and wouldn't care about elevation.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist

Won't be surprised to see the next 2 days be slight risks. I'd say eastern Kentucky/southeast Ohio has the best chance of being a slight risk tomorrow, and then at least Pennsylvania for early Thursday.

Looking forward to some thunder tomorrow. Strong winds is a bonus.

floop-hrrr-2022101200.refcmp.us_ma.gif

• LIKE 1